Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

5 days trekking around the Annapurna mountain range

Snow drifting off the peak of Annapurna South during sunrise

My apologies for the extended silence. Access to electricity and internet is a bit unstable in Nepal. I recently finished up a trek through the Annapurna mountain range, something I had booked back in December when I found claims online saying the treks here were the most beautiful in the world. It's a tall claim but I think it could be true. They definitely didn't disappoint.

My route went up to Poon Hill to catch a panoramic view of the mountains and then through a rhododendron forest where flowers are in full bloom this time of year. Along the way, I got to meet some of the nicest, warmest people in the world.

The villages themselves were a bit surreal to me. Modern technologies intermingled with antiquated ones in a strange utilitarian hodgepodge. For example, I'd occasionally see simple wooden huts outfitted with solar powered water heaters. I think a visitor will find many imprints left by Western NGOs and volunteers here.


On the way up to Poon Hill




Chickens being transported up the mountain by pony. One of them got to be my dinner later that night.









Views from Poon Hill

Buddhist prayer flags



Me and my trekking guide, Bunu. We're queens of the hill.


Through the rhododendron forest





Tree and Bunu 





Descent back to town


Picture of Anu, Bunu's younger sister and my porter. 



On the last day, I met a group of trekkers from Korea who welcomed me into their little clan as their adopted Korean who can't speak the language. This is me with one lady from the group and two Nepali ladies who kindly put dots on our heads and adorned us in jewelry for a photo op. Red dots are typically only worn by married women but one of them insisted I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment