Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Travel sketches (and one painting)

As I mentioned in prior blog entries, I joined a group tour in Provence organized by an art professor. Everyday, we went site-seeing in the morning and painting in the afternoon - though I spent several of those afternoons taking a long nap to recover from the gargantuan French lunches.

In the few non-sleeping hours I had, I managed to get one painting mostly done by the end of the course. I also got a few sketches done on-site at the places we visited. I'm sharing them here along with other travel sketches I've accumulated along the way. As per my usual caveat when I show my drawings, just remember that I'm only a student. This stuff is more personal than my comfort level would normally permit me to share and I do it now because it was such an integral part of the whole travel experience.

On a side note, I highly recommend any traveler interested in art to take the time to sketch on-site. Just find a nice place to sit, take a look around you, and get a few jots down on paper. It'll give you a visceral connection to your surrounding space in a way taking a photo never can.


My painting assignment: Monk under prayer flags. The original inspiration for this piece comes from this picture I took in Nepal .


Archéologique de Glanum, Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France

Pont du Gard in France

Rousillon, France

Outside a cafe in Bilbao, Spain

Fig tree and stone wall. This was the view from my backyard in Lipa, Slovenia.

No comments:

Post a Comment