Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Beautiful Jaipur

Sitting in the Amber Palace outside of Jaipur

Getting ready for Holi with a decoration at the City Palace



A recent conversation I had with my jaded South Indian friend:

Friend: Why do you want to go to Rajasthan so much?
Me: Isn't it where all the old Indian palaces are? I thought it was supposed to represent the picture of India Westerners imagine with all the jewels and royalty.
Friend: Yeah you'll see some palaces. But I think the picture you have in your head is exaggerated. North Indians just know how to market their sites better than South Indians do but some of the temples in South India are just as beautiful.

I'm in Jaipur now and there's a festival going on today called Holi. I'm not kidding when I say this may be one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been to in my life. South India ain't got nothing on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment