Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Latest itinerary

2 months completed in Asia Pacific. I have 4 more months to go before heading home. I can see myself living this way forever. Haven't felt homesick at all. Here's the latest itinerary for the rest of the trip:

Right now - leaving Hong Kong this afternoon
Mar 11 - India: Hyderabad, Chennai, Pondicherry, various places in Kerala, Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi
Apr 2 - Nepal: Lumbini, Chitwan, Kathmandu, Pokhara, and the Annapurna mountain range
Apr 18 - Turkey: Istanbul, Cappadocia, don't know where else but I plan to spend a month here
Mid-May - Central/Eastern Europe. No specific plans yet
Jun 1 - Provence, France. I'll attend a 2 week painting workshop organized by one of my art teachers in SF
Jun 13 - Venice, Italy
Jun 21 - Fly back home to SF


Jun 22 - Attend a friend's wedding
Aug 18 - Be a bridesmaid at a wedding
Aug 31 - One more wedding

September 2013 - Freedom to travel again. Too bad I won't have any money left at this point.


It's probably about time I share some thoughts on the trip so far. So here's a quick list of my favs and gripes:

Favorite cuisine Vietnamese more than anything else but all Asian cuisine is so good. I've lost a lot of weight just by getting away from the American diet.
Favorite historic site Angkor Wat. There's nothing else quite like it.
Favorite country Thailand for the friendly people who are always happy.
Least favorite country Mainland China for the people who look miserable. Also, my lungs are going to die an early death after breathing in the soup they call air.
Biggest moment of culture shock In China, seeing a man spit on a carpeted floor indoors. WTF!!
Most fun driving Convincing a taxi driver in Bangkok to let me drive his car on the highway for ten minutes (it was a very light section of road).
What I would have done differently Make the itinerary way less aggressive. I over planned Asia and went through it too quickly. I simplified the itinerary for Europe as a result.
Worst thing to happen so far My harddrive crashed after I let a guy load movie files into it in Chiang Mai. All my pictures from Bali to Bangkok are lost.
Places I want to see the next time I come out to Asia
- Burma. I ended up cancelling this country from the itinerary this time around. I didn't properly prepare and it was Chinese New Year so the whole country would have been a mad house)
- Bali again. It really is paradise.
- Bhutan. Everyone is talking about Bhutan for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment